Call for Nominations and Entries for the 2020 Design Incubation Communication Design Awards for Educators and Graduate Students
Design Incubation announces a call for nominations and entries for the 2020 awards for communication design educators and graduate students in the areas of scholarship, teaching, service. The aim of the awards program is to discover and recognize new scholarship (creative work and publications), teaching, and service in our broad and varied discipline. We hope to expand the design record, promote excellence and share knowledge within the field.
This year, the jury also will be considering commendations for work covering the area of diversity, equity, access, and inclusion in communication design. We encourage submissions of work that relate to these areas for consideration.
We kindly ask colleagues and mentors to identify outstanding creative work, publications, teaching, and service being done by design educators and graduate students in our field and to nominate these individuals for an award. Nominations will be accepted from April 15 to July 31, 2020.
Entries will be accepted from June 1–August 31, 2020. Complete the online entry form with the following:
- Title: Description of project and outcomes (not to exceed 500 words)
- Supporting Materials (limited to 5-page medium resolution pdf of artwork; web links to websites, videos, other online resources; published documents or visual documents)
- Bio of applicant/s (150 words per applicant)
- Curriculum vitae of applicant/s
New Initiative for the 2020 Design Incubation Awards: Graduate Student Work
Beginning this year, Design Incubation is accepting entries in a new juried area of Graduate Student Work. The future of communication design education begins with the work of future faculty and researchers in the field of Communication Design. Recognition of graduate student work will be grouped and reviewed in the categories of scholarship, creative projects, and service. Graduate students currently enrolled in graduate design programs are invited to submit scholarship, creative projects, and service projects they completed during graduate study or up to one year after graduation.
- Gail Anderson, School of Visual Arts, United States
- Fatima Cassim, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Denise Gonzales Crisp, North Carolina State University, United States
- Paul Nini, Ohio State University, United States
- Maria Rogal, University of Florida, United States
- Teal Triggs (Chair), Royal College of Art, United Kingdom
An international juried competition of communication design research, practice, teaching, and service.
We are excited to announce the beginning of the 2019 Communication Design Educators Awards season.
The aim of the awards program is to discover and draw attention to new creative work, published research, teaching, and service in our broad and varied discipline. We hope to expand the design record, promote excellence and share knowledge within the field.
Help us support fellow design educators and advance the discipline by sharing this announcement. Encourage your colleagues to help us find the most talented faculty in our field and to recognize their efforts through a peer-review process.
New this year—Nomination
This year we are launching a new initiative—a nomination process. We ask mentors and colleagues to identify outstanding creative work, published research, teaching, and service being done by educators in our field and to nominate these individuals for an award.
How the nomination process work
Beginning from April 15 through July 31, 2019, you are invited to nominate a colleague’s creative work, published research, teaching, and service. Our short online nomination form will automatically notify your colleague that their project has been recommended for an award.
We will also contact the nominee to ensure they have received your recommendation and encourage them to submit their materials. All nominees are offered early submission to the awards allowing them to begin their entries immediately.
We will continue to accept self-nominated entries to the awards. These applicants should submit their materials between June 1 and August 31, 2019. (No form completion needed for self-nomination. Simply enter.)
- April 15–July 31: Nomination Process Opens
- April 15–August 31: Nominated educators may submit application materials
- June 1–August 31: Self-nominated educators may submit application materials
- September 2–30: Jury reviews applications
- October 10: Award recipients notified
- October 15: Award recipients announced
Design Incubation is delighted to announce we are now accepting entries for the Communication Design Educators Awards 2017. The deadline for applications is May 31, 2017.
The distinguished jurors for 2017 are the following:
Communication and Media
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Steven McCarthy (Chair)
Professor of Graphic Design
University of Minnesota
Graphic Design; Design; Writing
California College of Art
Professor of Graphic Design
University of Florida
Associate Professor & Chair of Department of Graphic Design
Virginia Commonwealth University
This year, we are recognizing work in four (4) categories:
- Scholarship: Published Research
- Scholarship: Creative Work (design research, creative production, and/or professional practice)
- Service (departmental, institutional, community)
For eligibility and criteria, go to the Competition Overview page.
For application process, go to the Awards Application Process page.
The awards will be announced the first week of September 2017.